Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Custody Problems


I have a 5-year-old daughter. Her mother and I have a split-custody order at the present time, but her mother just served me with papers to take my daughter all but 28 days a year. Social Services came a day after the papers were served. I want help and resources to handle this issue as delicately as possible, as my daughter is bright and observant. I don’t want her to be harmed emotionally or developmentally by the situation.



You are wise to keep your daughter out of the middle of adult issues and legal concerns. There is a program called Children in the Middle that some states require parents to participate in when they are going through a divorce. The program provides helpful information and strategies for parents to work out the complicated issues of custody and visitation without putting their child(ren) in the middle emotionally.

Regarding your legal rights, you would need to contact your attorney to discuss how to respond.​